Important: EU Exit

I am writing to advise you that the United Kingdom’s exit from the EU raises the potential for changes to Companies House systems after Exit.

Delivering the deal negotiated with the EU remains the government’s top priority. This has not changed. However, the government must prepare for every eventuality, including a no deal scenario. For 2 years, the government has been implementing a significant programme of work to ensure that the UK is prepared to leave the EU on 29 March 2019.

It has always been the case that as we get nearer to that date, preparations for a no deal scenario would have to be accelerated. We must ensure plans are in place should they need to be relied upon.

This communication sets out the changes we will have to make to our systems should the UK leave the EU with no deal.

With regards to (software developed) electronic filings through the XML gateway, the baseType schema has been updated to remove the EEA and nonEEA corporate details requirements - these are replaced with UK and nonUK corporate details requirements. The UK option now only requires a registration number.

In addition, the Company Data Request, Company Incorporation, Officer Appointment and Officer Change Details schemas have been updated to allow the use of the new baseType schema - these can be found at this link:

http://xmlgw.companieshouse.gov.uk/v1-0/xmlgw/SchemaStatusBrexit

There is no need to contact Companies House at this stage. This communication is for advice and guidance only and is part of the government’s ongoing programme of planning for all possible outcomes. These changes will only come into effect from 29 March 2019 if no deal is agreed by the UK Parliament.

SDN

Hi Simon,

Will the corresponding paper forms for Officer Appointments and Officer Changes be updated in a similar way by Companies House to take effect from 29th March 2019 in the event of a no-deal?

Thanks,
PJ

Good morning PJ,

I can confirm that this is the case.

I will forward you the relevant communication from our Forms Design Manager via email.

SDN

Will these changes also apply to the various PSC notifications? Will they require an update to accomodate the new base types?

Hi Arthur,

The changes are restricted to the schemas we have already released.

Thanks
SDN

Can you confirm if these changes also impact the data held in the Register of Directors, Register of Secretaries and Register of LLP Members for corporate officers?

Will you also be updating the registers held on the public record to reflect these changes, or will the EEA/Non-EEA requirements as specified in the Companies Act still apply?

Hello Sarah,

I do have some thoughts on this, but need to check with a relevant colleague in our Policy / Legal area - I will come back to you as soon as I can.

SDN

Hi Simon,

When will these Brexit-related schema changes be applied to the Companies House TEST XML Gateway? I’d like to know when I can begin to test our software changes for the schema updates.

Many thanks,
PJ

Hello PJ,

I have requested a form of test platform for the EUX schemas.

I will let you know when it is available.

Thanks
SDN

Hi Simon, any news yet on if the statutory registers will also need to be updated? thanks, Sarah

Hi Sarah,

I have a growing list of EUX related issues that we have had to refer back to BEIS - I will come back to you all as soon as I have some answers.

SDN

Hi Simon,

Will there be a transition period after 29th March 2019 during which the current schemas will continue to be accepted by Companies House?

Kind regards,
PJ

Hi PJ,

There is nothing I can add at the moment.

Companies House is wholly dependent on clarification from Parliament and the EU as to whether a deal will be agreed or not, and if not (and the new schemas/forms are actuated), whether there will be a grace period after 29th March where old schemas will still be legally valid, or what any “crossover” instructions between old/new schemas/forms will be.

SDN

Good morning Sarah,

If this is about corporate officers, and if by ‘statutory registers’ you mean the registers of directors and secretaries kept by the company, the answer is ‘Yes’.

The first step for a company is to update their registers and then send the notice to us.

(Or, if they’ve elected to keep the information on the central register, their registers are updated by sending the notice to us).

I hope this helps.

SDN

Simon

Looking at this what is Companies House’s intended policy for existing corporate officers that are currently recorded at Companies House as being EEA companies where the country of registration is an EEA country other than the United Kingdom.

Will these all be updated to be non-UK companies but with blank details in the law governed and legal form elements?

Similarly what information will be included in the Company Data Responses for such corporate officers that were originally EEA companies and are now non-UK companies?

Then when a change of details for the corporate officer is submitted will Companies House require that updated law governed and legal form are included in such submissions and hence reject submissions where the law governed and legal form are not supplied for such corporate officers?

I will have to take advice on this for you Philip, and will respond as soon as I can.

SDN

Hi Simon,

Any news yet on when a test platform will be available for the EUX schemas?

Thanks,
PJ

Not as yet PJ - I will let you all know when it is available.

Thanks
SDN

Thanks Simon,

I’m also keen to know what the response will be to the questions @philip posted, i.e. if there is no-deal,

1. what current corporate officer EEA/NonEEA information on the register will Companies House automatically update?
  2. what current corporate officer EEA/NonEEA information on the register will Companies House expect clients to update by filing the relevant forms?
  3. Will Companies House require those relevant forms to be the proposed new versions of the CH02/LLCH02 and CH04

Kind regards,
PJ

Again, I will have to get back to you PJ.

Please bear with us.

SDN